Sunday, 5 August 2007

Chartership schmartership

OK, I have absolutely got to get chartered. No more excuses. No more hiding from it. I've got to sit down, write a PPDP and submit it before the end of August. That's my personally-imposed, entirely arbitrary deadline. Let's see if it works...

Here are my Top 5 reasons for being chartered:

1. You get even more letters after your name!
2. You get a nice certificate!
3. You might find yourself in a position where you'll get paid more!
4. Er...
5. That's it.

I'm not a fan of the process, nor do I think it's necessary. The phrase "morally and intellectually bankrupt" comes to mind, but that's a bit too strong for the way I actually feel. I just think that if I've already got a first degree, a Masters in Librarianship and three years' experience at the coalface of public librarianship, what does this extra (not to mention costly) piece of paper give me? All it does is recognise what an individual has already achieved and how s/he has increased his/her ability to function as a professional.

In theory, it should be cake. I've achieved a heck of a lot in a short time, certainly more than I imagined I would. I'm enjoying my work, which is a rare and wonderful thing. But chartership gets on my nerves.

Enough grumpiness. I'm only 27, I'm not supposed to be this grumpy until I hit 30. But the system is, imho, broken enough to put me in that sort of a mood.