Tuesday, 11 September 2007

The Borrowers

From Worldmapper, via Walking Paper, via Library Stuff: a world map, with the countries resized to represent how many books are borrowed from public libraries, as a proportion of the total number of books borrowed worldwide. Got that? Good.

Click the link and see for yourself. It took me a while to find the UK (which makes me sound much stupider than I really am). It's actually much bigger than I expected it to be, what with the whole "public libraries are doomed" thing we're going through currently. Yet it turns out that we in the UK eat more slices of the book-borrowing pie* than our size - and all of that negative publicity - might suggest.

There are flaws with the data sources used, and the folks at Worldmapper are pretty up-front about that, so it's indicative rather than conclusive. But I think it's pretty cool.

*All this talk of pie makes me hungry. Sadly, I've spent what would have been my tea break writing this blog post...