Thursday, 13 September 2007

It's all about the Benjamins, baby

From The Times, via the CILIP Weekly Information World email:


... graduates in arts and humanities subjects, such as history, art, French or
English literature, had among the lowest earnings.

How glad am I that, as well as my English degree, I've got an MA in Librarianship? From a Russel Group university, no less! That should keep me in Doritos and Hendricks gin* for the foreseeable.

It reminds me of an old joke I can't remember well enough to relate here, save for the fact that the punchline intimates that arts graduates work at McDonalds. It's not that funny anyway.

But seriously, folks: are we paid that badly as librarians, or do we just expect more than we get because of the hoops we have to jump through in order to qualify? I lean towards Option B, but I think employers have a deficit of knowledge about what we actually do, and how taxing some of it can be. Flame me in the comments if you feel otherwise. I can take it.

* Nicest (imo) in G&Ts. I prefer Plymouth or Tanqueray 10 for martinis.