Wednesday, 24 October 2007

A good IDeA; or, a terrible pun

As a public librarian, I need to keep an eye on the bigger picture: the local government context. It's a many-headed beast, but I find the IDeA's Knowledge email newsletters quite handy.

They outline a couple of the big issues every week, with examples of good practice and new ideas (a terrible pun, and only partly unintentional). And while I might not need to consider, say, local government responses to climate change as part of my job, it's useful to know that a) it's an issue that's being considered and b) there are contributions that public libraries could make to such efforts.

The email also contains a fun cartoon. What I like most about it, though, is the alt text. Here's this week's:



*That* makes it funny. I don't know why, but it makes me giggle a little bit. Maybe I need to get out more, but I like the seriousness of the description. Without it, I honestly wouldn't know that the cartoon showed participatory budgeting, let alone participatory budgeting in action.