Thursday, 10 January 2008

2007: a year in review

I'd give it seven out of 10. It was pretty good.


High points:

Umbrella

Joining the PLG Committee

Getting a pair of Five Ten Nathan Rennies

Finally starting to do something about Chartership...

Being on stage at Talis Insight (seriously, it was great fun!)

Low points:

Too much sulking in the biblioblogosphere about libraries being doomed

The word "biblioblogosphere"

The week just before pay day, when I've spent all of my money on ridiculous shoes


My favourite author of the year:


Chris Simms, an up-and-coming crime writer. I haven't read any of his stuff (I mostly just read sf because I'm a nerd), but people who have assure me that he's good. I like him because he did a talk and a Q&A session for us, and he was great.


My favourite book of the year (actually two books):

Nextwave : agents of H.A.T.E.: this is what they want
Nextwave : agents of H.A.T.E.: I kick your face

Both of these graphic novels, written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Stuart Immonen, are hilarious. Thirdrate Marvel heroes form a fourthrate super-team, fighting broccoli men. I laugh out loud every time I read them.

So there. 2008 should be pretty good as well: I'm flying to Bulgaria on February 3rd to teach them there Bulgarians a thing or two about modern public librarianship!