Monday, 28 July 2008

What Michael's been up to

So it's been ages since I last posted anything. Life trumps blogging, as they say.

I have been: trying to sort out PLG's sessions for Umbrella; writing something about leadership; enjoying some days away in London and Edinburgh; attending PLG committee in London; looking at library websites and seeing how deficient ours is in comparison to some of them; buying (and playing with) an iPhone 3G; reading Batman graphic novels and then watching Dark Knight at the IMAX; writing reviews for our new Intranet book review thingy...

I applied for an SCL NW-funded place at PLA in October this year, which I'm rather pleased to have won: I'll be a full residential delegate, and I'm looking forward to it. PLA is, strictly speaking, for Chief Librarians and lead Members: there's a lot for a normal librarian like me to learn from those people. It's in Liverpool, where I went yesterday entirely coincidentally, and the programme looks varied, serious, and engaging.

I applied for a job as well: one of my colleagues has won a Clore Fellowship, so her job will be vacant when she goes off to do that in September. My interview is tomorrow, so I could be - sharp intake of breath - a children's and young people's librarian by the time I write my next post. Think of the damage I could do with that remit! More graphic novels in the library, a Wii with a big LCD TV...